Wiki Loves Africa photo competition on Wikipedia
I have the honour and privilege of wining Traditional Culture Prize Wiki Loves Africa’s photo competition on Wikipedia 2021 THEME: HEALTH AND WELLNESS.
Africa is incredible rich, vibrant, colorful and at the same time both ancient and youthful. For too long the narrative has not reflected the reality of our potential for reasons of exploitation of natural resources at below market prices without duty of care to the people and the environment. Wiki allows us, Africans, to affect and change the not only the narrative but also how we have become to see and value ourselves.
2021 THEME: HEALTH AND WELLNESS
Wiki Loves Africa hold an annual public photographic contest where we, Africans, can submit digital content about our lived experience to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. This competition is organised by Wiki In Africa.
Digital Content from Africa is crowdsourced, as open licence photographs, videos and audio recordings, to tell an African story through the eyes of Africans.
- Over 64,000 images have been entered by 8,120 competitors from up to 59 countries under a free licence (CC-BY-SA) ;
- The images entered to Wiki Loves Africa are viewed 37 million times each month (April 2020, this figure does not yet include the figures from 2020)
- Wiki Loves Africa’s images from the first 5 years have been viewed 444,8 million times altogether(April 2020; the statistics for this year are not yet finalised)
- Wikimedia communities from 24 African countries have hosted participation events, information sessions and training workshops; this year, the African-Brazilian community also got involved
- Over 250 participation and training events have been held up until 2020 where a spate of local COVID-inspired online events happened for the contest in early 2020;
- The competition attracts high levels of new contributors to the Wikimedia projects – an average of 82% of participants are new contributors;
- A Wiki Loves Africa prize-winning image was included in the Journeys Through Our Fragile Heritage exhibition at the UNESCO headquarters, Paris, and
- Wiki Loves Africa’s ISA tool is a pilot project for Structured Data on Commons and the winner of the WikiData Award for Best Multimedia Toolin November 2019.
“I have a strong belief that all our answers lie in the natural world, including healing, from which we copy most of our philosophy, engineering, science and medicine. We are the hollow bone or channel for the spirit and ancestors that facilitates the healing forces that lie within each of us. … I have felt the power of the San Trance Healing Dance, the healing of plants and this is why I submitted this image. Traditional medicine is the foundation of modern medicine.”
Kgara Kevin Rack
Traditional Culture Prize: Kevin Rack
Attribution: Oldest Healing Dance (Botswana) by Kgara Kevin Rack, Wikimedia Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0
image : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oldest_Healing_Dance.jpg
- Why did you take that specific photograph?
The shaman of the Giraffe group, like all great shamans, has a wicked sense of humour and placed his hands on me during a 5 Clan Trans Healing Dance passing me nails of healing. I bought him a large beautiful abalone shell as a gift. He merely admired its beautiful colours, turning it over and over in his wrinkled hands, placed it on his head like a cap, laughed, passed it on to his wife and walked away laughing. One must give with no attachments. I have a great admiration for the Giraffe Group’s healers.
- What made you enter this photograph to Wiki Loves Africa this year under the theme Health + Wellness?
I am a trainee Igqirha (African Traditional Medicine) on ukuthwasa to the Dlamini Clan and a wannabe Shaman. I have a strong belief that all our answers lie in the natural world, including healing, from which we copy most of our philosophy, engineering, science and medicine. We are the hollow bone or channel for the spirit and ancestors that facilitates the healing forces that lie within each of us. I always turn to the inner cause and herbal cures first or at times as the only resort when one is very far off the beaten track before invasive medicine. I have felt the power of the San Trans Healing Dance, the healing of plants and this is why I submitted this image. Traditional medicine is the foundation of modern medicine.
- This is not the first time you have entered Wiki Loves Africa… has contributing to Wiki Loves Africa impacted on your work in any way? If so, how?
Yes I have contributed before as Wiki Africa offers me a platform to give back. I don’t sell the images as I am very fortunate to go to extraordinary places meeting remarkable people. By offering the images to Wiki Loves Africa I feel I can receive in good faith and I sure do. Wiki Loves Africa has allowed me to upgrade my 30 year old entry level Canon camera.
Wiki Loves Africa’s photo competition on Wikipedia
Episode highlights include: * Nicky Newman (Member Wiki Loves Africa 2021 Int’l Jury) * Ewien van Bergeijk-Kwant (1st prize winner), * Nirmal Ravi (2nd prize winner: organisation representative) and Ozavogu Abdusalam Khalid (2nd prize contract photographer), * Amuzu Joe (3rd prize winner),
* Kevin Rack (traditional prize winner), * Bouba Kam’s (best Video prize winner), * Minette Lotsie (special collection prize winner coordinator) and Max MBAKOP (one of the Special collection prize winners photographers).
WikiAfrica Hour (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiA…) is activated by Wiki In Africa (http://www.wikiinafrica.org) in support of Wikimedia usergroups across the WikiAfrica movement. It has been created and facilitated by Wiki In Africa’s Florence Devouard (User:Anthere) and Isla Haddow-Flood (User:Islahaddow). It is managed and hosted by Ceslause Ogbonnaya (User:Ceslause). Co-news presenter is Candy Khohliwe (User:Shoodho).
What I Do
I specialise in Digital Footprints for new Startups and Identities struggling to be found in Search.
Google Maps Marketing Local SEO
Google Maps Marketing Local SEO is the art of optimising your online presence and increasing foot traffic to your local based business.
SEO Digital Content Copywriting
SEO Digital Content Copywriting is the art of copywriting keyword/phrase content that is found in search results that converts.
WordPress is an open-source versatile content management system CMS for users to create easy functional beautiful looking websites that is found in search
WordPress SEO is the art of of getting your WordPress Website Pages on #Page1 of Organic Search Results for your Keywords/Phrases/Products/Services to your (best converting) target audience.
Let's Work Together!
Contact Us SEO Cape Town
5 Clarendon Court, Melrose Road, Muizenberg, Western Cape 7945, South Africa VFR9+XP Lakeside, Cape Town
(+27) 060 904 5988